Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Startle Response, 3

In my first "Startle Response" post, I mentioned a couple of instructors who claim to incorporate the Startle Response into their self-defense programs. One of them is Tony Blauer of Tactical Systems. I got the idea of checking to see if I could find any clips of him on Youtube, and I'm glad I did.

I cannot vouch for his whole system, but what I saw was right on target. It comes from a seminar for police officers. I must warn you, however, that the clips contain scatological and other vulgarisms. Minor children reading this blog should have a parent preview the videos beforehand.

Here is the video on Startle Response:



 The video on pre-contact cues follows, and it expands & illustrates the concept (same caveats apply).



These videos are just a small part of a complete system. If the rest is this good, I'd say, "Go for it." But I haven't seen the rest of Tony Blauer's system, so I'll have to settle for a cautiously optimistic, tentative & limited approval of the Tactical Systems approach.

No comments: