Saturday, December 8, 2007

The Best Self Defense System, 2

In yesterday's post, I laid out my criteria for "The Best Self Defense System". In case you're wondering, I left out a mention of firearms, because they constitute a whole parallel mode of training which would include close-combat handgun, mid & longer range handgun, tactical shotgun and rifle (iron-sights-range & optical-sights-range). As you can see, firearms training requires a separate system of its own.

I focus on unarmed close quarters combat (CQC) because it is primary. My jujitsu instructor, Mr. Henry, once told me, "First, learn to use your hands, because if someone is no good with his hands, he won't be any good with a weapon, either." I believe this applies to sticks and knives, AND to a certain degree, to close-combat handgunning as well.

Mindset issues like alertness and aggressiveness carry over from open hand to firearm usage, too. Not only that, but psychological techniques for controlling adrenaline stress and overcoming denial, for example, would also transfer from unarmed to armed conflict.

I also insist on the necessity for good CQC training for another reason: many -- although by no means all -- firearms training focuses on the mechanics of developing shooting skills rather than on preparing for the actual shooting confrontation. While marksmanship is foundational, it takes more than a good range score to prevail in a shootout.

Then, too, a firearm is a lethal weapon. Thus, even if you only wound your attacker -- or even if you just shoot the ground at his feet, the courts count that as the use of lethal force. Most potentially violent situations require less-than-lethal force. So, while the weight of your favorite revolver or pistol in the small of your back can be a great comfort on a dark night, you need a much broader spectrum of force to satisfy both the civil courts and Biblical ethical standards.

Finally, I want to tell you about an experience that has happened to many martial artists, including me. In conversation it comes up that you train in a martial art. Someone listening in pipes up with a remark like, "I don't need jujitsu, all I need is my .38," or, "You can't karate chop a slug from a .45."

Then you say, "Oh, wow! Show me your .45 (or .38, or Glock, or whatever). Where is it?

And he replies, "At home (or, in my car, or . . . etc.)." Sadly, this little exchange goes right over a lot of these guys' heads. But the fact remains, you do not have a firearm on your person every moment of every day. And if it's just out of reach at the wrong moment, it might as well be a mile away.

Therefore, I assert the necessity for every Christian Martialist to develop competence in both unarmed and armed self defense.

To be continued in "The Best Self Defense System, 3".

No comments: