Friday, February 15, 2008

Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad provides a counterbalance to a false view that plagues us. In our culture, good people are often portrayed as helpless. Devout Christians are often seen as pacifists who must be protected by the irreligious but compassionate warrior. We have seen this in the movies going way back. Contrast this with the following poetic description of Sir Galahad from the poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson (1834). (Unless I'm mistaken, a casque is a helmet.)

My good blade carves the casques of men,

My tough lance thrusteth sure,

My strength is as the strength of ten,

Because my heart is pure.


In Sir Galahad, most noble of King Arthur's knights, we see purity of character as a source of strength rather than of weakness. Wikipedia refers to him as "
perhaps the knightly embodiment of Jesus in the Arthurian legends." This may be because Sir Galahad is represented as sinlessly pure.

However you view him, I believe Sir Galahad stands as an example to us as Christian Martialists. Like him, we find great strength in righteousness and conformity to the character of God in Christ.


No comments: