Friday, October 31, 2008

Man Punches Girl in McDonald's: Video

You've probably heard the story, and you may even have seen the footage from the security cameras. A man who had two children with him cut in front of a teenage girl who also had two younger girls with her. She reportedly cussed him out, and he punched her.



I've tried to stop the video at each punch, which I found very difficult. To me, it looks as though the first punch -- right hook over the heads of the younger girls -- misses or just grazes the teen girl. It looks as though he follows that with a left hook, which I believe connects -- from the way the girl's head snaps back.

As she's falling, he moves in to uncork another right. (The guy's a real sweetheart, isn't he?)

Are there observations, conclusions or lessons to draw from this incident? Let me mention just three to get the ball rolling, and see what others you may come up with.

1) Observation: The jerk in this video is a predator. He may be a family man, but he ruthlessly and relentlessly pursues the girl until she goes to the ground. The very fact that he cut in line in front of young girls is a danger signal. This guy is present oriented and will do what he can get away with, unless he perceives an external authority that can and will make him behave. The teen girl ain't it.

2) Conclusion: Avoid confrontations with this type. If all he wants is a place at the head of the line, let him have it. And if he's doing it just to provoke you into a fight, then he's really dangerous. Leave, if you can. Your macho ego will likely lead to x-rays, stitches and possibly death.

3) Lesson: If you cannot avoid a physical exchange, then do not do what the teen girl did. The orc punched from a distance, so she leaned away from the punch. That put her off balance and set her up for his followup blows. Learn the combat wedge and use it in situations like this.

Okay, I could say more, but now let's open the floor for your observations, conclusions and lessons derived from this incident. Comments, please!

4 comments:

The Warrior said...

I saw this on the news, yeah. He should be tried....

It looks to me like, besides the obvious concept of being able to defend yourself and others, in such situations it seems to me that having the skills of "talking yourself out" can be quite useful. Cursing at him likely didn't help him any; perhaps he saw her as inferior (likely), and it probably infuriated him.

I've gotten out of bad (near-fight) situations with my mouth before. You'll be called a scared and frightened wimp (part of my life is the disdain of most other guys, actually; not that I care, though, looking at them), but that's the price you pay. If it's not worth it, it's not worth it. I believe in fighting when you have to (or when you should).

Your macho ego

Ermph...hard.... But like I said. If it's not worth it, then it's simply not worth it.

This kind of an orc is also potentially a legal-trouble-rouser. I was talking to someone just today (a girl) that was punched by a guy, and a guy friend of her's defended her, punched him, breaking his nose I guess.

Well now he's suing for attempted murder. ????

Spencer

The Warrior said...

Another thing I noticed when I first saw it was, why the heck did no one intervene??!?!

Craig Mutton said...

The whole reason the guy acted on his passions is that he was sure that no one present would intervene. He, like many of his kind, survives by being able to read people.

As to talking yourself out of situations, it's a good skill to have. I like Thompson's "Verbal Judo" in this regard.

The Warrior said...

The whole reason the guy acted on his passions is that he was sure that no one present would intervene. He, like many of his kind, survives by being able to read people.

Hmm. Perhaps you are right.... But still, it really enrages me when no one does anything in such situations.