Monday, October 20, 2008

Back Home!

We arrived back in Possum Kingdom after 5AM yesterday (Sunday). We were all exhausted from the marathon trip & sadly, did not make it to worship.

This morning we took a walk in the cool air, and I surprised myself by walking a little farther than we had before we left. I did not get any real walks in during the trip, but I did have to climb some stairs on a daily basis.

The trip allowed me to see myself & my performance in an unaccustomed context, and reminds me of my need to address personal fitness issues.

I developed shin splints in late July to early August, and as a consequence I cut out the daily walks for about two months. Just started up again a couple of weeks before the trip. Now, I hope to get back into a regular fitness routine.

Because of the shin splints (mostly healed, still a little pain & swelling), I will be looking low impact & no impact exercises. I think I will try to incorporate a lot of John E. Peterson's Power Calisthenics into the mix.

How about you? Chances are you're a lot more fit than this old, fat guy. But what could you do to take your fitness level up a notch or two?

2 comments:

The Black Knight said...

Some of us at Providence Church (Church Building where the conference was held) have started adding Calisthenic punishments to losing a round of our favorite card game. (jungle speed, a great reflex trainer for those interested) Recent punishments have included 20 push ups, 15 burpees or 25 sit ups.

Considering each round only lasts a few minutes, if you lost a lot you would get quite the workout.

Stephen said...

Gravelbelly: One thing that has really helped my dad, who does alot of low impact stuff, is walking a mile or 1/2 mile briskly with a couple of 5 lb. handweights. He says it's a really good workout.

Maybe you could give me some suggestions? Right now I'm working out mon-fri. I run Mon, Wed, Fri and practice MA on Tues and Thursday, mixed with some chinups, etc.