Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Judo Chop -- Multiple Attackers

On my walk this morning, I got to thinking about training my judo chop (known to you youngsters as a karate chop, to WWII practitioners as edge-of-hand blow and to many martial artists as knife hand or sword hand).

The strike can be devastating, especially when directed at the side of the neck. (And it doesn't matter much where on the side of the neck because you're sure to hit something important: brachial plexus, carotid artery, vagus nerve.) It's also effective when directed at throat or temple areas, but be warned that hitting those targets can be fatal.

I started thinking about it this morning because of a dream in which I had used the judo chop against multiple opponents. It worked pretty well, in the dream ;-)

The thought occurred to me that if I stood with my back in a corner -- not a good place for a real fight, by the way -- I could chop out at both walls at the same time, as though at assailants who were trying to flank me.

After the walk, I went to my training room and tried it out. I stood in the non-challenging ready stance, and lashed out (see fig. 3 below) at both walls as I visualized orcs.

Hitting the wall is no problem, as long as you're using the meaty edge of your hand and not your little finger to strike. (Illustration comes from Get Tough by WE Fairbairn.)



I recommend you train with two strikes simultaneously as well as one, then the other. Also, try facing the corner, then whipping around to engage the two orcs coming up behind you.

Of course, effectual training for multiple assailants requires practice partners. That's a luxury I don't have, so I'm forced into these somewhat less-than-ideal creative solutions. If you train solo, you know what I mean.

7 comments:

Stephen said...

Thanks for posting this, it's a big help.

My brother and I recently learned this move and I was rather surprised, when I did it right, how comfortable it was and how hard-hitting it was.

Craig Mutton said...

Yes, the judo chop does not get enough credit. Maybe it's because our culture recognizes the closed fist as the primary (sole?)fighting tool.

The Warrior said...

I've used this in TKD class, under the name "knife hand strike". I even broke a board with it. I agree, it's a really good strike. I never thought about two at once, however.

You reminded me of the dream recently had; I was Batman himself, but it was based of a scene in The Dark Knight (where Two-Face almost kills the boy, except it was the Joker in the dream) and, for the life of me, I was powerless! I'm Batman, and I'm powerless! Incredibly frustrating.

P.S. I've been sort of evaluating a few friends to try to see if I can get myself a training partner. A few possible candidates might not share my worldview, but still....

Spencer

Craig Mutton said...

Hope you find that training partner.

One corollary of the doctrine of Common Grace is that we can interact with the unconverted, for their own good as well as for our own.

The Warrior said...

Hmmm...I like that! Thinking about how to train with a partner (I'm jumping the gun here, though, haha) is also a question.

I figured using new techniques we learned in books, articles and DVDs could work?

Spencer

Craig Mutton said...

Sounds as though you're on the right track. Don't neglect safety issues, and always train with control.

My jujitsu instructor said that if you have enough control NOT to hurt your partner in practice, you will have enough control to hurt your assailant in a real attack.

As for a program of practice, for striking and kicking, I would recommend "Get Tough" by WE Fairbairn. To learn kinesthetic awareness and sensitivity to your opponent, I recommend "Secrets of JuJitsu" by Allan Corstorphin Smith.

As an aside, Captain Smith was a Scot who was able to see through the mystical baggage of the Eastern arts, explain principles in way comprehensible to the Western mind, and design training drills such that you can actually learn the art from a book. I've never seen another book quite like his.

Both Smith's & Fairbairn's books are available gratis online. Links are in the "Resources" section at the right of this page.

The Warrior said...

Wow, thanks! I like the looks of this; WE Fairbairn is someone I'm becoming familiar with, and am liking.

Spencer