Saturday, April 11, 2009

Swords, Sorcery and Warrior Health

You may wonder what swords and sorcery have to do with warrior health. Well, in the 1970's, a revival of interest in J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings (books, schlock art and even an animated movie) bore responsibility for a spurred interest in stories of the "Sword and Sorcery" genre.

I read one -and only one -- of a series of novels that included a sword-wielding warrior. His dissipated lifestyle did not impress me.

What did impress me was one scene in the book. As I recall, this warrior was the last servant of the goddess of a nearly-forgotten religion. Periodically, she would summon him to send him on a quest. But first, she forced him to participate in a painful ritual.

As he embraced the pedestal of the goddess's long-gone image, a purifying, fiery force swept through his body. I believe the narrative said the force cleansed cholesterol from his artery walls and toxins from his system. At the end, he looked, felt and performed like a younger person.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a TV segment on the 700 Club that related a practice that can also remove toxins, clean out the arteries, heal diseased organs and youthen the practitioner. As an added bonus, you don't have to go to Hell for serving pagan gods.

The segment dealt with fasting. When I was in my twenties, I used to fast (ingested nothing but water) one day per week. Over the years, I've tried to get back into the habit, but couldn't seem to find the right schedule.

I've thought about it recently, though and that fasting might help with my various joint problems, the pain & swelling that is still left over from my shin splints, and it might even help burn off a few pounds of fat.

Well, the program that spotlighted fasting was just the catalyst that I needed to launch me into action. Last week I went on a modified juice fast for two days (ate lunch as normal on Wednesday, and then took in only water, juice and grapefruit until lunchtime Friday)

This week I went three days -- from after lunch on Tuesday until after lunch on Friday. I included an 8-oz. glass of prune juice each morning. Prune juice is naturally high in sugar, but it sure helps to clean out the colon, so it's a trade off.

I also continued working out on my fast days. My rationale is twofold:
  1. Serum protein levels in Americans tend to be high, which will carry me over for a few days;
  2. After the fast, I don't want my body to react to the "starving time" by redoubling its efforts to store energy as fat -- instead, I hope my body will say to itself, "Finally I have the nutrients necessary to repair & build muscle tissue.
On the second and third days, I had a thick coat on my tongue (something I remember from previous fasts) I believe this signifies that my body is throwing off toxins. I also experienced a lot of mucus production at the same time.

As far as benefits, the swelling and pain has decreased in my legs, my knees feel better and I have a general sense of well-being. My wife says she has noticed that my breathing does not seem as labored when I undertake any strenuous activity.

Anyway, if you want to view the video of the segment that got me back into fasting, you can watch it below. My use of it here, however, does not constitute an endorsement of the 700 Club of Pat Robertson's teachings.

5 comments:

WildWeazel said...

Interesting stuff. I'd never heard of fasting for health reasons (except before medical tests) but it makes sense. Even the spiritual aspect of fasting has always confused me, and thus I've never done it.

The Warrior said...

I wish I could get into fasting...I think I'd love it.

You disagreed with the series I assume? The goddess/sorcery part? I just read Cornwell's Agincourt and was not overly impressed; a review perhaps soon....

God bless and happy Easter!

Spencer

Craig Mutton said...

WW: Scripture does not present fasting as a means of grace, so I think that whole aspect is wrong. If you want to hear God, you must pay attention to the Word & sacraments.

In Scripture, fasting is, however, associated with repentance & sorrow for sin.

DPPhd: I did disagree with the premise of the series, theologically (and as a consequence) as well as morally.

You have a great celebration of the resurrection, too.

The Warrior said...

Yes. 'Tis a pity so much of our world's stuff, be it books, movies or music, is so poisoned nowadays.... I posted a review a few minutes ago I think you might like to read.

As to fasting, aren't we supposed to fast sometimes when we have something big to consider?

Craig Mutton said...

"As to fasting, aren't we supposed to fast sometimes when we have something big to consider?"

Sounds good to me, but not in order to "feel closer to God" for guidance." Mohamed was on a fast when he received his first "revelation" regarding Islam.

Again, guidance should come from applying the principles of God's written Word in the Bible. Since fasting can improve mental acuity, it might be helpful in understanding and applying the principles of Scripture to whatever thing you have to consider.