Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Confrontational Types

I read an article by Bob Pierce about confrontational types -- the different types of people you may encounter in a potentially violent confrontation -- that I thought you might find helpful. It's not so much that he said anything you or I don't already know, but he put it together into a comprehensive picture.

I will give these four types my own descriptive names: 1) the true orc, 2) the raging bull, 3) the big deal, and 4) the bantam rooster. (I might also add a fifth, psychopath.) Over the years, I've run into these types, and I'm sure many of you readers have, as well. The bad news is that they can all be dangerous, but the good news is that if you can recognize the type, you are more likely to be able to derail the potential violence.

The true orc is a predator, plain and simple. He targets easy prey. If you notice him stalking you, you can often dissuade him by looking straight at him to let him know you've made him.

The other types may take direct eye contact as a challenge, but the true orc is not looking for a challenge. He wants to ambush his prey. The earlier you let this predator know you're on to him, the less it will take to persuade him to look for an easier mark.

If the situation reaches the testing phase, you must go into the non-challenging defensive posture and draw the appropriate verbal line. "LEAVE ME ALONE!!" This informs him that you are not about to step into his net.

A woman who challenges an orc in this fashion at this stage has a 50% chance of altogether avoiding physical assault.

Continued in "Confrontational Types, 2"

1 comment:

The Warrior said...

Ooh, this looks like a good one. I'm waiting for the rest!

Spencer

P.S. I was once called "The Raging Bull." :-O