Monday, September 15, 2008

Comments on "Combat Slap, 3"

I didn't receive any readers' comments on "Combat Slap, 3". I hope that doesn't reveal a lack of interest. Perhaps it's just shyness.

At any rate, I'll start with what I didn't like about Paul Vunak's version of the combat slap. My daughter picked up on the same characteristic that I did. The way Vunak teaches you to practice will almost guarantee that you will telegraph your moves.

He makes the strike, swings back, and then immediately strikes again. This gets you used to drawing back before you strike. In practice, you need to strike and withdraw, and then pause before you strike again, so that you do not associate the draw-back as part of the strike.

Here's what I liked about the video: he demonstrates fluidity of movement. You can see that the strike resembles a whip more than it does a club. If you can learn to effect that wave-like motion, your strikes can be wickedly fast and brutally powerful at the same time.

I'm still working on it. Perhaps in another post, I'll tell you how.

3 comments:

Stephen said...

I would have commented on your earlier post but our internet was down.

Very interesting! I never thought about telegraphing the moves. What did he mean by taking months or even years to learn how to punch properly? I didn't understand that. I did notice the fluidity part, though.

One thing I noticed, probably not related, was his clothing. Notice on the Kelly McCann clips how he is wearing everyday clothes, what he would probably be wearing when the attack occurs. Vunak was wearing work out friendly clothing. If you train in work out clothes, you will only be able to fight in workout friendly clothes. This is one thing I think is very important and have really stressed in my own training.

Craig Mutton said...

Good point about the clothing. You can learn a lot by practicing barefoot in canvas pajamas, but you don't really learn what types of movement are impractical for street-wear.

And kicking with the ball of the foot is not nearly as easy if you're wearing brogans. You can't really curl your toes back.

I think the fact that Chinese arts tend to practice while shod may have something to do with why they kick with the heel rather than the ball of the foot.

The Warrior said...

One thing I noticed, probably not related, was his clothing. Notice on the Kelly McCann clips how he is wearing everyday clothes, what he would probably be wearing when the attack occurs. Vunak was wearing work out friendly clothing. If you train in work out clothes, you will only be able to fight in workout friendly clothes. This is one thing I think is very important and have really stressed in my own training.

YES! Didn't realize too many other people thought of this too often; I'm glad I'm not alone!

So now I see what you mean; telegraphing is indeed dangerous. I like the idea of being whiplike, though; I think it could agree with my comment on the post itself. I mean I don't think you necessarily have to be "limp-wristed" to be like a whip. What do you think?

And sorry I haven't been around much lately. Besides that trip, things have been crazy, and are looking to get even crazier. I still need to read what you have to say here, though; it's extremely profitable, I feel.

Spencer