Saturday, October 3, 2009

Backup Weapon

My barber sent me the link to this discussion on the LA Sheriff Dept Reserve site. It's pretty much ho-hum unless you scroll down to the entry by 53T2. He's been there & has something to say.

Here's the link:

Best Backup Gun?


I've always thought the discussion of backups went in the wrong direction. If 13 (or maybe 25) rounds of 9mm did not do the job, why would you think that seven or eight rounds of .380 (9mm short) would?

If 9mm will not finish the orc, then your backup should be maybe .45 or .44 Magnum. Personally, if my .45 couldn't handle an assailant, I'd want a 12-gauge "backup" at hand.

Maybe an even better concept is to become proficient enough with your primary firearm so that a backup is superfluous . . . like putting table sugar on maple syrup.

2 comments:

Stephen said...

Ditto!

Either 12 ga. or .308. I never understood smaller caliber backup guns.

Johann Van De Leeuw said...

Here here!
Or is it hear hear!? Whichever, great post!