Monday, December 29, 2008

A Lutheran Sheepdog

This account of a Lutheran sheepdog comes from an email my barber sent me entitled a "Christmas Story for You". He accompanied his church's choir to a sister church for their Christmas service. In his words,

The pastor was waiting for me. He was wearing an NRA life member pin on his lapel. . . . Upon entering his office, I saw the Louis L'Amour book on his desk! He told me that another parishoner exchanges the books with him. He was very warm,accepting,and gracious.

The parishoners began to arrive,and I was warmly greeted by all but about 10. Attendance was in the 50's. Seated up front,next to the pastor's wife,as the prelude began,I instinctively glanced to the rear of the sanctuary. That was when I saw him.

He was seated at the rear,near the only entrance. He was about our age. Black dress pants and a dress shirt. Slightly bigger than you and I. Solid,no flab. When I saw his face,I froze. You and he may not be identical twins,but you sure are close brothers. The same moustache, same color. . . .

During the passing of the peace,the strength of his grip curled my toes! He looked me straight in the eye as we shook hands. He slowly circulated through the congregation,shaking hands,then returned to his position,(I mean seat).

After the service, he was the last to leave the sanctuary. During the fellowship time,he seemed to float in and out of the area,I would look for him,not see him,then later,he would appear in another place,talk with some people,I would look again,and he would be gone. Sadly,I was so engaged with the other people,that I did not get a chance to talk to him.

As the fellowship time was winding down,I was seated with a family,and their children. I looked over to the entrance to see him walking out,wearing a black leather jacket. As he approached the door,he donned a black cowboy hat. My mouth dropped open. He slowly walked to his car,head scanning slowly left and right. I was speechless for a moment. A lump in my throat. I thought of you. I thought of sheepdogs.


There were two sheepdogs watching over that small flock during that service. Out of the 50 present, I'm sure that 48 had no idea. Sometimes, it just takes one to know one.

(Thanks, Bro.)

No comments: