Friday, December 5, 2008

Defining Terms, 3

Continued from "Defining Terms, 2"

The second influence on me in molding my concept of Christian Martialism is a lifelong interest in the combat arts. Guns, martial arts, hand-to-hand combat.

As a child, I was looking for a magic bullet to protect me from bullies. As I became older, I was impelled to look for how these things fit together with my faith. Did the Word of God speak to these issues?

I did not begin formal training in the martial arts until I was 48 years old. By this time, I had the perspective to examine the philosophy behind the practices common to both the Eastern arts as well as the practices of their Americanized permutations. (See "Martial Art as Way")

At this time I also began to look for the simplest, most effective skills for defense and combat. These have become the core of WARSKYL. But more on that, later.

Continued in "Defining Terms, 4"