Friday, December 12, 2008

Defining Terms, 4

Continued from "Defining Terms, 3"

The third -- and, I hope the biggest -- influence on my concept of Christian Martialism is my Biblical worldview studies. I had to learn that Scripture applies to all of life, not just personal salvation and devotional use.

I began to see this as a young Christian in high school, where I took my lumps in biology class for my stand against evolution and for creation. In college I was early exposed to R.J. Rushdoony, but was not prepared to deal with issues on that level, yet.

My reading of C.S. Lewis (particularly Miracles: A Preliminary Study) and Francis Schaeffer led me begin a quest to find the Biblical underpinnings of all the facets of human life and thought. After college and grad school, I did some reading in Cornelius Van Til, and I embraced a presuppositional epistemology.

Then I came back around to Rushdoony, North and others. I found that my efforts to hammer out a Biblical philosophy of government, law, etc. were redundant efforts. Others had already laid the foundations.

I began to see the Bible differently. As the Word of the Living God, it provided the template for a much broader view of salvation than I had previously thought. The Gospel promises personal redemption, it is true.

But it also provides for individuals, families and society (the Church is the center of Christian society) to take dominion over this world that is both wild and fallen.

This means that my every legitimate pursuit -- martial arts, shooting, studies in power politics, as well as theology -- must be brought, by the Word, under the dominion of Christ the King.

For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
(2Co 10:3-5)

Continued in "Defining Terms, 5"

5 comments:

Stephen said...

Great post, I agree 100%.

Since the authors you named are primarily Presbyterian, would I be correct in guessing that you are Presbyterian also?

Craig Mutton said...

". . . would I be correct in guessing that you are Presbyterian also?"

Guilty, your honor!

Member of an ARP (Associate Reformed Presbyterian) church.

The Warrior said...

Good summary. The martial arts...most think of them as silly Asian fighting arts. But no, they are under God, as are we all.

John Lofton, Recovering Republican said...

Rushdoonyite site: TheAmericanView.com.

Please visit/comment.

John Lofton, Editor
Recovering Republican
JLof@aol.com

Craig Mutton said...

I heard you speak at a Chalcedon event, several years ago. It was shortly after you visited Bob Jones Univ. & were impressed with the fact that they were involved in Christian Reconstruction without knowing it.

I'm honored that you took time to visit my site.