Monday, June 27, 2011

Push-ups: Dream or Nightmare?

Last night I dreamed that I was doing push-ups. Many people would describe that as a nightmare, but  I found it pleasantly encouraging.

As some of you may recall from previous posts, I had a goal of doing 500 push-ups in a day. In fact, I reached that goal a little over a year ago.

I did my push-ups 3 days a week (usually 100 to 300 reps on Tues & Thurs), and on Saturdays I made the big effort to squeeze out the 500. I did them in 3 different position (horizontal, hands 12" off the floor and hands 16" off the floor), in sets of 50.

Over the course of a year, this routine provided an upper body workout that built up and hardened muscles. The one problem was that from the time I began, I was not getting a full range of motion in my push-ups.

Shoulder problems prevented me from going all the way to the floor, so I decided early on that half a push-up was better than no push-up at all. And that has been my practice up until about a month ago.

(To be continued)

No comments: