Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Silent Night, Holy Night

Silent Night, Holy Night,
All is calm, all is bright
Round yon virgin, mother and child,
Holy Infant, so tender and mild,
Sleep in heavenly peace.

I was about sixteen years old sitting in the living room by the lights of the Christmas tree. I awaited the rest of the family's return from somewhere, so we could go to our church's Christmas program.

It was a perfect time to reflect on the wonders of the incarnation of our Lord. I remember it as a wondrous, deep and moving time.

For me, the celebration of the King's coming should always include reflection, devotion and a quiet resolve to live in loyal obedience to His reign. Contrast that to what you see in the video below.



RPC, who sent me the link to the video, also commented:

I have seen crowd violence similar to this when the circumstances were "right." Also, I have had one grocery store owner out in the middle of the Virgina coal fields tell me how "mad" people got when the delivery truck to the store did not make it in for a week and a half.

The video hints that the answers to our national barbarism lie in political principles. However, the kind of political and economic reform that we need can only come from a spiritual Reformation.

It does not matter nearly as much whom we elect to Congress or the Oval Office as much as whom we acknowledge as King.

Joy to the world, the Lord is come.
Let earth receive her King.
Let every heart prepare Him room,
And Heaven and nature sing . . . .

No comments: