Saturday, February 13, 2010

"Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya . . ."

"Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father; prepare to die," is just one of the great and memorable lines from one of my favorite films. 

The Princess Bride is a classic, which I commend to Christian Martialists everywhere. Unintentionally -- I assume -- the secular humanists (many of whom come from Jewish backgrounds) have put together an epic tale that borrows many elements from the story of redemption as found on the pages of the Old and New Testaments.

George Grant has said that all great stories borrow themes from the One Story (redemption). You can find many allusions to the One Story in the film.

There is the theme of the bride and the bridegroom (who is absent for a long time, so that the bride's faithfulness wavers). The bridegroom's faithfulness: his death and resurrection because of his love & desire to rescue the bride. That's probably the most central theme from the One Story that you can find in The Princess Bride, but there are others.

Isn't it about time to watch (or watch again) the movie & see how many of the themes & allusions you can find that are "borrowed" from the One Story?

By the way, I thought you might enjoy this Yerzies T-shirt design found by my daughter Raquel:



2 comments:

The Warrior said...

Oh really? I'm actually somewhat surprised...I've seen it and it wasn't really for me. Besides the little bits of sorcery and magic, I honestly just found it ridiculous. Sorry, I'm not trying to be argumentative. With movies it's really to each his own. Some day I think we should list all our favorite movies and compare; that would be something!

Spencer

P.S. The shirt was hilarious! Thanks for you and to Raquel for the laugh!

Stephen said...

This is actually one of my favorite movies!
Many classic lines.

"Everybody MOOOOOOOVE!!!!

Ah yes...