Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Defending against a Knife Attack, 4

Continued from "Defending against a Knife Attack, 3"

What potential weapons can I carry in my hand that will meet my criteria for defending against a knife? It's obvious that, even if you have a CCW, brandishing a handgun every time you enter a parking garage or walk down a dark street will sooner or later get you into trouble with law enforcement officers (LEO) -- a fact of life, no matter how unjust or sad.

You might want to revert to Keith Pascal's tactic of having your knife in your hand in potentially dangerous situations. But this must become an ingrained, unfailing habit. And you must develop (and maintain) the skills you need to use your knife in self defense.

I believe a properly-chosen impact weapon will serve to protect against a knife attack without the drawbacks associated with using handguns or edged weapons in defense. If you choose wisely, you will be able to carry it wherever you go without arousing the suspicions of civilians or LEO.

Warrior has already interacted on this subject in the comments section of the previous post.

In the next post, I want to talk about the pluses and minuses of cane vs. knife.

5 comments:

The Warrior said...

Still thinking about this one since you brought it up. Batons are often illegal, so it's not easy to find something....

I'm looking at buying a nice flashlight. Possibly the E2D Defender. Pricey, but it appears to be worth it.

Thanks again for challenging the mind,

Spencer

Craig Mutton said...

Don't spring the bucks for a Surefire quite yet. There is an American-made tactical flashlight that rivals anything Surefire makes, sells for under $100, and it's warranted for 10 years.

I want to get one to check it out before I recommend it, so stay tuned for further updates.

The Warrior said...

Really? Ok then. I will try to wait as long as I can (due to price it will likely be a long time haha).

I just like that it has lots of lumens, a belt clip (a near-mut for me, I'd rather not have to buy a Blackhawk! holster), and scalloped tip and muzzle for extra combat effectiveness.

I didn't realize they weren't USA-made. Where are the manufactured?

Spencer

Craig Mutton said...

I did not mean to imply that the Surefire is not an American-made product. But most of the "viable" alternatives are made in China. Although some of them have the reputation of being very good, the reports of customer service when problems do arise show them to be abominable in that area.

Don't feel bad about having to save up -- I'm counting my pennies just to lay out the $60 or so that the light I have in mind will cost.

The Warrior said...

Only $60? That's half what the E2D will cost me! Do we get to know your choice?