Sunday, May 31, 2009

Re-Forming the Church in China

I professed faith in Christ in 1961. By the mid 1980's, I would tell people that I was a right-wing radical Fundamentalist extremist & thinking about becoming militant about it. I said that to irritate the quasi-intellectual humanists who looked with disdain on those who believed the Bible.

In the late 1980's, I began to take Reformed theology more seriously, and I embraced it. As a Presbyterian in the tradition of John Knox, it should go without saying that I'm a militant Christian. Except that so many 21st Century Presbyterians would shrink in dismay under Knox's powerful preaching.

Christiian Martialism is, in fact, nothing more than one facet of the expression of traditional, Reformed thinking.

That is why I find the following report so exciting. Many in the unregistered (not-officially sanctioned) Chinese churches are embracing a virile Reformation theology.

And, although the article does not point this out, the leaders of this movement, like those of the European Reformation, have arisen from within the university community. Here is a link to the article:

Chinese Calvinism Flourishes


The next thing you know, they'll be singing the Psalms in Beijing.

Thanks to RPC for drawing this article to my attention.

No comments: