Monday, January 12, 2009

Defining Terms, 6

Continued from "Defining Terms, 5"

I began explaining the term Christian Martialism in the first "Defining Terms" post. Now, I want to move on the the term I chose as the title of this blog: WARSKYL.

Here is how I define it on the home page of my website over at www.warskyl.com:

WARSKYL (ˈwr - skil) noun, 1. the skills and abilities that go into making a warrior

2. the close combat skills of Christian Martialism


I coined the word -- as I'm sure 99.99% of my readers realize -- from a stylized amalgamation of war and skill. I am please with it, because it is, to a degree self explanatory. I also think it evokes a reaction that makes it rather easy to remember.

In the first sense of the definition given above, WARSKYL embraces all combat skills, from any source. If you have trained in a martial art, or if you practice riflery and handgunnery, you have WARSKYL in the broad sense.

If you attended the WARSKYL conference and learned some rudiments of the skills I practice and teach, then you have WARSKYL in the narrow and particular sense.

I do not see myself as an expert, let alone the fountain of all combat skill and knowledge. Therefore you can have WARSKYL no matter where you get your skills. A major purpose of this blog is not to force you into a particular mold, but to challenge you to hone your skills in the context of a Christian ethic and worldview.

To be continued

2 comments:

The Warrior said...

I like the term. The only thing I'd change is "orc." To be honest I really like the term (describes them with due disdain) but, to be honest, I don't agree with LOTR so that's my only quibble. I've long sensed a need to use such a word but all I could come up with were very lame excuses such as "despot" or worse, "lady-hurter." Do you have any ideas?

Spencer

Craig Mutton said...

Would you believe that the term "orc" did not originate with Tolkien, although he popularized it?

Over at encyclopedia.com, here's how they explain it:

orc in fantasy literature and games, a member of an imaginary race of human-like creatures, characterized as ugly, warlike, and malevolent. The word (denoting an ogre) is recorded from the late 16th century, perhaps from Latin orcus ‘hell’ or Italian orco ‘demon, monster’, influenced by obsolete orc ‘ferocious sea creature’ and by Old English orcneas ‘monsters’. The current sense is due to the use of the word in Tolkien's fantasy adventures. See also ogre.

I don't know if that helps. I hope so.