Monday, January 5, 2009

New Year Evaluation, 2

Continued from "New Year Evaluation"

So, what do I need to strive for this year in the area of means?

1) In terms of therapeutics, I need to encourage healing of the shin splints & also find way to normalize my lower back;

2) In terms of fitness, I need to continue my walking regimen & make the anaerobic exercise a regular habit; also, I need to learn to vary my strength training so as not to risk injury (or aggravating old injuries);

3) In terms of physical skills, I need to find a regular practice partner (still hoping and praying -- anyone in the Greenville, SC area interested?); I need to hone my hand strike skills and, assuming full recovery from shin splints, work on adding dropping energy to my strikes; I also need to work on my low kicks;

4) In terms of knowledge, I need to work on making the WARSKYL system deeper (in its effectiveness) and broader (in its scope, including strategic and tactical considerations);

5) In terms of gear . . . well, there's always the desire for more & better.

I have the means . . . and the mindset.

I believe that mindset is an attitude (or a cluster of attitudes), and I further believe that attitude is a spiritual quality. Therefore, mindset evaluation offers peek into one's spiritual condition.

A couple of years ago, my pastor counseled (I'm talking about serious Biblical counseling, here)
me about a particular fear that has caused me some problems. After those sessions, I wrote a little book entitle "How to Master Your "Fear". The book works toward the conclusion that, ultimately, fear is a spiritual problem.

I've
been reviewing and adding to the book, lately (and thinking of publishing it -- see poll at right). But I've also been thinking of writing a companion book to it about courage.

So, anyway, my spiritual self-evaluation is that I need to work through the courage issues. Not because I'm fearful (fear is not the opposite of courage), but because I'm easily dis-couraged. More on that in the book, as it develops.

What do I need to strive for spiritually this year?

1) I need to develop more consistency and discipline in my study of Scripture and in prayer;

2) I need to deepen my loyalty to the King and my obedience to His Royal Law;

3) I need to work regularly at my own part in fulfilling the Great Commission;

4) I need to use the means of grace to banish fear from my life and to develop true courage in service to the King.

If I can do these things, I will be able to say in all honesty:

I have the means, and the mindset. I will journey into Hell and darkness to protect the ones I love.

No comments: