Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Joint Mobility and the Christian Martialist

The Bible speaks of Christ as "the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands [ligaments] having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God." (Colossians 2:19)

Do you find it interesting that God describes life and strength in terms of joints and connective tissue rather than muscle mass? The fact is that muscle mass will do you little good if your joints are not healthy.

Whether through disuse or misuse, over the years we tend to lose joint mobility. A couple of months ago, I tripped and fell, hitting my head and right shoulder against a building. The injuries to my neck and shoulder have restricted my mobility.

One of the things I've done to help restore range of motion and bring healing to my joints is that when my daughter and I watch a certain program (almost nightly), we do joint mobility exercises during the opening theme and the closing credits. I get my exercises from Scott Sonnon's Flow-Fit program.

The video below is beyond anything I can do [this week!], but it serves to show what can be done when you focus on joints and connective tissue rather than just building muscle mass.

No comments: