Sunday, September 7, 2014

A Meditation on Psalm 27:1

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm27:1)

Do you ever wonder how you will perform in the moment of truth? Whether you'll take appropriate action or just choke in fear? 

Even if you've been there, done that, you may wonder if you'll be up to the challenge next time. This is why it's important that you, as a Christian sheepdog, to keep your motives anchored in your relationship to your God and King.

I like the way this Psalm begins, because it has the same theme as Romans 8:31, "If God be for us, who can be against us?" Whether you have to face an orc who threatens those whom you care about or just face another day of life in the swamp of moral decay, you can do so with the confidence that if you are on God's side, He will be on your side. 

Since that's the case, "Of whom shall I be afraid?"

2 comments:

James Moffitt said...

I ask God to direct my feet and to keep my path on the straight and narrow. I also ask him to put his ministering and guardian angels around about me and my loved ones and protect us from the enemy. I also practice situational awareness and try to never put me or my family in harms way. My desire is to never have to use deadly force against another human being. If push comes to shove I believe that I could in order to protect myself or family.

Craig Mutton said...

Regarding situational awareness, have you ever read "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin De Becker? I think it's a classic. Not written from a Christian perspective, but has some excellent practical training value.