Thursday, March 17, 2011

Flashlights Meet Flash Gordon?

When I was a youngster, one of my favorite Saturday morning shows was Space Patrol. I also loved to watch the old movie Saturday matinee serial broadcasts of Flash Gordon with Buster Crabbe in the title role.

When I was about six, I got a Flash Gordon T-shirt and a "ray gun" -- this was back before space guys discovered lasers -- for my birthday. The ray gun amounted to a flashlight with a pistol grip and trigger/switch. It was so cool!

How much cooler would it have been, if the Wicked Laser people had been around and built the ray gun around their 4100 lumen Torch? Their flashlight actually sets stuff on fire.

No idea how long a single charge of the battery lasts or the average life of the 100 watt halogen bulb, or how hot the head & body of the light get -- all important issues if you're going to sink $100 into a piece of gear. But if I'd had ray gun like that when I was a kid, I might have conquered Mars (after taking over my neighborhood).



Thanks to my barber for sending me the link to this.

No comments: