Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Somewhere Between Jesus & John Wayne

I am providing the following music video (thanks to my barber) for your thought and analysis. I really would like to see some responses in the comments section, because I think this song describes some of the inner struggles of the typical American Christian male.

The song is about sanctification -- a process that's never finished in this life. I also see it as an indictment of the false concepts about Jesus and manhood foisted upon us by pietistic Christians. Anti-christian media are more than happy to reinforce these misconceptions.

A [male] Christian Martialist should be clear on who Jesus is, on his manhood, and on how those two things relate.

What are your thoughts?

4 comments:

Stephen said...

Fun song, the Gaithers are great.

I completely agree with you, I think, however, that Jesus is enough of a model.

Besides, it seems kinda sacrilegious to put the name of God next to John Wayne's.

Craig Mutton said...

Stephen,

I think you're on the right track. Jesus is THE model for Christian manhood.

Of course, I think the song implies that being between Jesus and John Wayne is not where we ought to be.

I hope we hear from some more readers on this. I want to comment further in another post.

dlr said...

Oh, man... that is painful. I only lasted about 30 seconds before I had to turn it off.

Craig Mutton said...

I understand, brother.