Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Principles of Personal Defense: Review of Ch 6

Ruthlessness 

When you come under assault, you can’t rely on halfway measures. Your attacker intends to injure or kill you. You must do whatever it takes to stop him.

In this chapter, Colonel Cooper states what should be obvious: if you hold back because you’re afraid of hurting your attacker, you will just make him mad. A violent predator deserves no consideration.




When I was younger, I found myself the victim of frequent beatings by bullies. Rage helped fuel my aggressiveness, and I think it was indignation that taught me ruthlessness. Anyone who would take away my own dignity deserved no consideration in my sight.

To be sure, the law forbids you to continue your counterattack once the orc no longer presents a threat. However, until the point that you can escape or until you neutralize the threat, you pity him at your own peril. (I have written about the ethics of ruthlessness HERE.)

No comments: