Monday, July 27, 2009

Warrior's Dilemma, 6

I have some really busy days over the next week, and I don't know if I'll be able to post as regularly as usual. Things should settle down by next week, though (D.V.).

Continued from "Warrior's Dilemma, 5"

I published the following a few years ago on a blog that is now defunct. I think it bears repeating as a preparation for continued discussion:

Yesterday was Memorial Day, and I met it with mixed feelings. On one hand, I harbor a deep admiration and appreciation for those who have sacrificed to the point of death to serve in our nation's military. Their stories touch me in ways I cannot express.

On the other hand, I recognize that no matter how much lip service is given to high ideals, and no matter how many times we hear the phrase, "God and country," we still live in a secular nation that has turned its back on its Christian roots. I further see that often the real reasons that our leaders have in sending troops abroad are not the same ones voiced to the troops to motivate them to lay their lives on the line. How many troops have given their lives for God, mom & apple pie while those who sent them into harm's way did so for oil, profits and power.

I have the privilege of knowing some fine, dedicated Christians who serve in the US Military. Though they're not my children, I'm as proud of every one of them as though I were their father. Yet, there's a corner of my heart that also weeps that they stand ready and willing to give up their lives for a secular state that dishonors Christ and His Gospel and tramples God's Laws underfoot.

I DO love my country. Would that my country loved my King.

1 comment:

The Warrior said...

Yeah...I understand your feelings too....

Spencer