Wednesday, February 18, 2009

WARSKYL: A Christian Martial Art?, 3

Continued from "WARSKYL: A Christian Martial Art?, 2"

Now that I have related how I differentiate a martial art from a civilian art, it is fair to ask into which category WARSKYL falls. My answer is that it has components of both.

The strong emphasis on self defense skills, including avoiding and evading assault within the context of loving one's enemy (Seth Ben-Ezra's excellent presentation at the conference), provide a strongly practical civilian component to the art.

I have carefully adapted WARSKYL's adrenaline stress control techniques along with the simple, brutal & effective physical skills, including point shooting, from proven practical combat methods. Those components of the system constitute a combat art suitable for the battlefield.

There is another component of WARSKYL that I have not yet finished systematizing. It includes the skills necessary to take control of another person in less-than-lethal circumstances. While it will include locks & holds drawn from jujitsu and other grappling arts, I am looking for simplicity and effectiveness in both the skills themselves and the training methods.

2 comments:

The Warrior said...

The "less than lethal" aspect is one I am interested in watching develop. Will you keep us all posted?

P.S. I just read an article on tessen-jutsu. Likely not of much use for what you're aiming for, but still, I wonder have you heard of it?

Craig Mutton said...

Dr Paleo,

I have indeed heard of the tessen (iron fan). There are pictures of Professor Henry Okazaki, founder of Danzan Ryu jujitsu, posing with his tessen. (I trained for a couple of months with a 5th degree Danzan Ryu master while I was also training in Goshin Ryu jujitsu, which also owed a lot of its structure & technique to Okazaki.)

I have never trained with the iron fan, but I see it as a step up from an improvised weapon. It looks a lot like an ordinary folding fan, carried by many in the older oriental cultures. But it is designed to function as a weapon.

I would compare it to the hair brushes made of carbon fiber material that have a handle that tapers into a sharp spike. It looks a lot like an ordinary brush, but it's also designed to function as a weapon.

Since many tessen techniques use it as a short baton, you could probably adapt those techniques to a Maglite with four or five C cells. Just a thought.