Monday, February 23, 2009

Awkward Moment

I originally posted this on "The Ideasmith's Forge" (4/15/06). I thought you folks would understand & appreciate this story:

Yesterday afternoon & evening we spent time with B. & A. and their two bright & well-behaved daughters. B. & I spent 2-3 hrs at the shooting range on his dad's property. As B. was showing me one of his dad's handguns, its owner walked in.

So, there I stood, meeting a man I'd never even seen before, and I had one of his revolvers in my hand. It felt awkward to me — as though I were caught doing something way too personal with regard to a stranger.

I tried to explain this later & A. said, "As though you were holding his wife's hand?" She had hit the nail on the head. That described exactly the feeling I had.

Just so you know, that moment did not spoil our day. Merrianna got to practice with her Taurus .38 & enjoyed shooting from the hip at a floating chunk of wood with B's Ruger 10-.22. I was satisfied with a little offhand shooting with my Garand at about 60 yds, & some gratifying results of point-shooting with my model 1911.

Then came a great supper & fellowship of kindred spirits. Afterward, I had this deep sense of peace & satisfaction. Reminded me of certain days spent at the range with my barber in former years. Sometimes, life seems so good that even those little awkward moments can't interfere.

Posted on Saturday 15 of April, 2006 [15:21:26 UTC]

1 comment:

The Warrior said...

I hate awkward moments, so a hearty hoorah for it being not-so-bad.

Sorry I've been absent so much of late. Things are busy and stressful at home.

Spencer