Monday, March 2, 2015

Power Signals, Posture and the Christian Martialist, 3

Continued from "Power Signals, Posture and the Christian Martialist, 2"

In the previous post I established that the Bible links physical posture to inner moods and attitudes. In the next post, I want to tell a little bit about how I use the power poses in my own training.

First, though, let's look at some of the poses I use. I'll call on two of my favorites, Doc Savage and The Phantom to illustrate.




Above, you can see both Doc and The Phantom taking up space, a classic characteristic of power posing. To me, this pose signifies ready for anything.



Dr. Cuddy calls this "the Wonder Woman pose". In reality, almost every comic book hero assumes this posture often.



Usually, folded arms connote weakness, but not here. The Phantom has not hunched his shoulders, his chin is up, and he has assumed a wide stance. This pose virtually screams, "I'm in charge, here.".




Doc Savage projects power with arms upraised. The upper image reminds me of what I call the strongman pose.



It's difficult to find comic book heroes using the victory pose. When I use it, the word "exultant" comes to mind.




Both Doc and The Phantom project authority, even when seated. For this one, you need the biggest armchair you can find, then spread out to fill the space..


No comments: