Friday, November 28, 2008

Vigilantism and the Real World

When I was a youngster, I loved to read comic books -- all kinds. Superheroes, funny comics, scary ones, mysteries.

As the victim in a world of bullies, I felt unsafe and vulnerable. But I found refuge in the fantasy world of comic book (and TV) heroes.

As I grew and faced my bullies, my fantasies bumped into the hard realities of the world. Even when you're fighting a just, defensive fight, getting hit still hurts. And winning the fight does not necessarily win the respect of those who torment you, as it always does in the stories.

Also, for some odd reason, hitting me never landed the bullies in trouble. My hitting back landed me in the principal's office. The reality is that habitual offenders know how to manipulate people (and the system).

Do you think a freelance vigilante would fare any better in the world outside school?

Criminal organizations have great funds of cash to buy influence among politicians, judges and police. If you went after organized crime figures, you would be hunted by both the police and the mob.

Furthermore, the Establishment (corporate, financial, political) would see you as a loose cannon. And they'd pool their resources to find and make an example of you, lest others follow your example.

And while we're on the subject of others, there very probably would be copycats. Most of them would be impressionable and unstable people, and you would ultimately get credit for the tragedies that they create.

These are just some of the reasons I don't see a comic book hero type of vigilantism working in the free world.

1 comment:

The Warrior said...

It likely wouldn't work, I agree...but is it morally acceptable? That is the question I like to raise.