Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Comparing Two Knives from FightFast/TRS

5N1 EDC
 
In this post, I will compare the 5n1 EDC to a previous knife I got from TRS, the 325s Tactical Survival knife. Both knives came "free" but cost $9.95 S&H. They were both promotional items, and I think they were good value at that price. I "bought" the 325s a few years ago, and the EDC came last week.

First off, the EDC blade is narrower and about an eighth of an inch longer than that of the 325s. Closed, the EDC is about a half inch longer. Their width closed is almost identical.




325s

Out of the box, the EDC opened a little stiffly, and the liner lock was really hard to operate. Working with it has smoothed both operations considerably. I do miss the spring-assisted opening of the 325s. It would probably not be feasible on the EDC, though, because of the location of the light and fire starter.

In my hand, the 325s feels more ergonomic. The EDC's straight housing, for the light and fire starter leave it feeling just a tad less comfortable in my grip. Long or hard use might cause blisters.

The EDC obviously has two more features - the light and the fire starter - than the 325s. That increases its utility, and when you need a fire starter, you need it. Ditto the mini light.



EDC


Both knives have the seatbelt cutter and the window-breaking pommel. Both blades take a nice edge with a little stropping.

So, which will I carry? Probably both. I'm used to the 325s, but the EDC has the extra margin of utility I may occasionally need.
325s

1 comment:

Adele said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.