Wednesday, September 26, 2018

American Combat Judo -- A Review

I published a review of Bernard Cosneck's American Combat Judo some time ago here on WARSKYL. I've upgraded it below.

As a lad, I found I had to do my time in elementary school.  In 2nd grade, I believe, the boy in the desk next to me brought in a book called American Combat Judo. As a timid youngster, I  had to endure those who teased and pushed me around. Therefore, the idea captivated me that a book would teach me how to wreak mayhem on my tormentors. It even had a couple of pages dedicated to instruction in the delicate art of gouging out an eye. I wanted that book.

A few years later, when I was in Jr. High (Middle School to you moderns), I used to go into a stationery store (Ulbrich's) and covet items in their book rack. On one occasion, a strangely familiar cover caught my eye. It was my old friend, American Combat JudoI think I had to wait until the next trip -- after raiding my piggy bank -- to plunk down the cash for the slim volume. I fearfully approached the cash register wondering if the clerk would permit a minor to even purchase such a book.

My 1959 edition did not contain the information on eye gouging that my friend's 1943 edition had -- a disappointment, to be sure -- but it was my first self defense book, and it became a personal treasure. It did not turn me into a formidable fighter, but the mere possibility comforted me to.

A few of the techniques seemed to fit me, and I could see myself doing them. For example, the photos of middle-aged brutes in speedos showed me how to apply the Rear Arm Strangle, and I even used it (unwisely) once or twice, and I carry that shame to this day. Most of the techniques, however, required a practice partner to learn effectively, and it's probably a good thing that at that age & stage of my life I did not have someone to practice with. One of us might have maimed or killed the other.





Many years later, after I had trained in Goshin Ryu Jujitsu, I once again picked up the book, and understood how techniques worked that had once seemed so impractical and out-of-reach. As with many books on the subject, some techniques are more practical than others, but on the whole, it contains a lot of workable suggestions.

Bernard Cosneck was a collegiate wrestler in the early 1930's who served in the Coast Guard during WWII. He wound up teaching hand-to-hand combat alongside former heavyweight champ, Lt. Jack Dempsey. Cosneck's style was eclectic, taking elements of wrestling, jujitsu, savate and "police tactics".

You can find American Combat Judo on Amazon.com, although it seems that it is no longer in print. It should not be your first --let alone your sole -- book on hand-to-hand, but if you're into WWII combatives and/or self defense classics, this one should be on your list.

No comments: