Thursday, August 7, 2014

Seven Tiger Moves

Kenpo Karate master, John McSweeney taught a series of dynamic self resistance exercises called The Seven Tiger Moves. They did not originate with him, but have existed in various martial arts for centuries.

Through his sixties and beyond, observers saw in McSweeney speed and power that martial artists decades younger might envy. He credited the Seven Tiger Moves for his incredible power.

I have used some of John Peterson's version of these moves in the past, but not in a systematic fashion. One thing I like about them is that they are super easy on the joints, especially if you begin, as you should, using no more than half of full effort.

At this point, I have a workout partner and a program for regular exercise that seems to be working for me, so the next step is to systematically work the Tiger Moves into my program. I will post more about the program if it works out as I hope.

In the video below, you will see John Peterson demonstrate these seven exercises along with an instruction in muscle tension and the importance of timed breathing:

No comments: