Monday, August 11, 2014

From the Barber's Chair: Basic Firearm Operation and Safety

I learned to shoot with a Daisy air rifle. I got mine as a hand-me-down from my cousin -- a Daisy pump. Unlike the slick lever actions the guys in my neighborhood used, my magazine held only 50 BBs, which I had to load one-at-a-time, while the tab of the spring follower bit mercilessly into my forefinger.

It took both patience and pain to load it, so I tended to take more care, aiming each shot. Not so with some of my compatriots who could dump a whole pack of BBs into their lever action models.

My barber brought these memories back to me this morning when he sent me the link to the video below. It's a training video by Crosman in story form -- a boy learning from his grandfather how to shoot an air rifle.

John (The Lawman) Russell plays the part of the grandfather. He died in 1991, so the film has a few years on it. Nevertheless, it teaches timeless principles: muzzle awareness, sight picture, trigger control . . . .

AND if you're a fan of 1950's TV westerns, the scene of Russell with the Winchester will make you smile.

No comments: