Monday, February 17, 2020

I Rethink Knife Fighting, 2

Continued from "I Rethink Knife Fighting"

Okay, now you & I have a way to carry a knife at the ready without attracting undue attention. Now, I think I should address the difference between knife fighting and fighting with a knife.



In the minds of many, a knife fight involves two guys squared off, and dueling like the 3 Musketeers, only with shorter blades. That's not how knife encounters happen in the real world.

  First of all, predators do not want a knife fight. They do not want a fight at all; they want to exert their power over easy prey. The predator wants to use the knife to kill or intimidate his victim.

If he intends to kill you, you won't see the knife until after the attack . . . if you see it at all. If he intends to intimidate you, he will brandish his blade as he demands your valuables. In this case, he may not hesitate to kill you if you do not comply, so your life is in jeopardy either way.

Your best defense against a knife is the same as your defense against any violence: avoidance. Use your inborn Distant Early Warning system. 

That said, I want to move on to the likely scenarios where you may have to use your camouflaged blade. I intend to do that in the next post. 

2 comments:

Monkey At A Typewriter said...

A good subject, one I think about. I am commenting on both posts here. For myself, I carry a locking blade I got from Wal-Mart for $10. I clip it to my right pocket for easy access and use it a lot for work. Another fellow brought a large camping/hunting knife in a sheath and was told to leave it home, as it violated polity- it looked like a weapon! And with the clip, it is as easy to grab it as it would be to get my concealed carry out of my pocket from its little pocket holster. Of course, when I do carry the knife goes in the other pocket. But the knife used to be an all-purpose man's tool that everybody carried, wether a Swiss Army or the old wooden handled ones like my Dad always had. I put a knife up there with my little flashlight for EDC. Of course, I would prefer the .45 but in a perfect world, I would have dual 1911 shoulder holsters like the Shadow too! At least Iowa hasn't become the nanny state like England has, where your only defensive tool is a spork.

Craig Mutton said...

I love your username, Monk! Very clever.

Thanks for you contribution to the conversation. I hope you will continue to comment on future posts.