Friday, January 4, 2008

Warrior Fitness -- Posture, 6

Go hang yourself. That's the advice of many a physical therapist and chiropractor to patients with back problems. Of course the hanging I'm talking about doesn't involve a rope tied in noose.

I'm referring to hanging by your hands rather than by your neck. Although I've heard this before, it was an e-letter from John E. Peterson that convinced me to try it. I hang from the rung of a ladder, although you can do this from a chinning bar, if you have one.

I hung myself this morning after Laura & I took our walk. It gets gravity working in my favor to align the vertebrae. You might want to try it, too.

Simply hang at full arms' length for 10-30 seconds. A daily hang tends to keep your spine in proper alignment. This, of course, not only helps relieve back pain, but also improves posture. Warriors with healthy backs tend to fare better in battle.

No comments: